Getting a library card
Trails Regional Library welcomes all people to get a library card, regardless of where they live. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, our library card application is online only until April 30, 2021. The application is open to anyone aged 13 and older due to COPPA restrictions. Upon submission of the application, library staff will review your application and ensure there are no active duplicates in our system. A library staff member will send confirmation of your library account to the email address provided in your application, typically within 2 business days of receipt. New library card accounts issued digitally will expire April 30, 2021, at which time patrons may visit a branch in person to receive a physical library card.
To apply for a digital card, visit trailslibrary.org/ecard.
Renewing a library card
Library cards expire after one year. To renew by email or over the phone, please provide the following information:
Name (First, Middle, and Last)
City, State, and Zip Code
Date of Birth
Library Card Number
Replacing a library card
One library card may be issued at no cost to the patron each calendar year. The cost of an additional replacement card needed within the calendar year is 50 cents.
Checking out items
Items circulate for 2 weeks. Items may be renewed up to two times if no other patrons have holds on the item. All items must be returned to the library before they can be checked out again after two renewals.
Hotspots and other specialty items have different renewal and return restrictions. At this time, all Hotspots may only be checked out for 2 weeks with no renewals. All Hotspots should be returned to a branch by appointment and NOT left in outdoor bookdrops as the weight of other materials can damage the Hotspot and incur damage fees to your account.
After an item is overdue for more than two weeks, its status will change to Lost. The total cost of the item will appear as a bill on the account and the item must be returned for the bill to be removed and full borrowing privileges to be restored.
Requesting books and movies
Searching the Library Catalog
Usually, a keyword search is the first way people start to search for books or other materials. Keyword searches are helpful because they pull book titles, authors, subjects, and more to give you lots of results.
The words in a title or in an author’s name do not need to be entered in capital letters or in the correct sequence in order to find results. If you aren’t looking for a specific item or aren’t sure of the title or author, you may choose to do a Keyword search and enter a subject (for example, math) or the part of the title that you do know. By scrolling through the results, you will find what you want.
Sometimes, you need to do a bit more work to find the right item, though. Try the search tips below to see if you can narrow down your search to find the right item.
To request an item from any library in the catalog, select the big green button that says "Place hold" directly to the right of the item. It will ask you to log in with your library card number and your pin if you are not already. Once you are logged in, or if you are already logged in, it will just confirm where you want it to be picked up and your contact information. From there, select the gray "Submit" button at the bottom of the screen.
Books can be written about many things, and often books have multiple subjects. When trying to search for a specific topic, it is easiest to use just one word, like dogs or space.
If you enter multiple words into a search box, it will look for each of those words separately. You can tell the catalog to look for those words together by putting quotations (“ “) around them. For example, if you search for “Harry Potter” with quotations, the catalog knows not to give you the author Beatrix Potter.
You can tell the catalog exactly what you want, but sometimes it will still give you more stuff than you want. To help limit what you get, use the filters in the Advanced Search to tell it what type of material you want or even what language you want it to be in.
Formats - limit your search to a format like Books, CD Audiobooks, or DVD
Libraries - limit your search to a specific library, like your local branch.
NOTE: searching all libraries will give you more results and a greater likelihood of finding a copy of what you want that is available. There is NO extra charge for requesting books from other Missouri Evergreen libraries!
You can access information about your account from any page in the catalog by selecting the My Account link in upper right corner of any page in the catalog. Your account information includes contact information, items you have checked out or placed on hold, your fines, preferences for the catalog, and your lists (a place for you to keep reading lists or other lists of items). Each of the sections in the My Account area is described below.
Logging Into Your Account
- Enter Your Username
- Your username is your library card number.
- Enter Your Password
- The first time you log in, your password is the last four digits of the phone number you provided to create your account. After your first log in, you may change your password.
Items Checked Out
Items on Hold
Credit Card Payments
Evergreen allows patrons to make online payments with a credit card. These are processed with the vendor Stripe. Below are the steps to make a payment online.
- Log in to the “My Account” page from the library’s home page or the catalog.
- Review the billed items on your account in the “Charges” tab at the bottom of the screen.
- Check the boxes for the billed items that you wish to pay, and click on the “Pay selected charges” button.
- Enter the billing information for the card that you are paying with.
- Review the final amounts that you are paying and click submit.
- Evergreen will then send the information to the payment processor and authorize the transaction.
- You will be notified when the payment has been approved. Here you may print a detailed receipt.
If the payment is not approved, please write down the error code and message so that TS can do more research as to why the payment did not process.
How Do I Create a List?
- In the My Account area, click on My Lists. In the Create a New List section, enter a name for your list into the text box. A description of the list may be entered in the space provided. Decide if you would like to share the contents of the list with other users, and click the Submit button.
- If you are already logged in, on any item detail page, select the “My List” link located to the right of the item search results. Click on the “Add to My List” link and a drop down menu will appear. Choose “Add to New List” to create a new list.